Moon Yellowstone & Grand Teton: Hike, Camp, See Wildlife (Travel Guide) (Paperback)
Forge your way through forests, across mountain peaks, past geysers, and more with Moon Yellowstone & Grand Teton. Inside you'll find:
- Flexible Itineraries: Adventure-packed ideas ranging from one day in each national park to a week-long road trip covering both
- The Best Hikes in Yellowstone & Grand Teton: Detailed descriptions, individual trail maps, mileage and elevation gains, and backpacking options
- Experience the Outdoors: Marvel at the steam-spewing Old Faithful geyser or take a horseback ride to panoramic lakeside views. Hike through alpine forests to rushing waterfalls and catch a glimpse of wild bison, elk, wolves, or bears. Bask in the colorful radiance of Grand Prismatic Spring or stroll the boardwalks along Mammoth Hot Springs. Climb to Inspiration Point for breathtaking views of Jackson Hole and Jenny Lake, explore the quirky nearby towns, or discover the best spots to hit the slopes during the winter season
- How to Get There: Up-to-date information on gateway towns, park entrances, park fees, and tours
- Where to Stay: Campgrounds, resorts, and more both inside and outside the park
- Planning Tips: When to go, what to pack, safety information, and how to avoid the crowds, with full-color photos and detailed maps throughout
- Expertise and Know-How: Explore both national parks with outdoors expert and former park guide Becky Lomax
- Resources on Covid-19 and traveling to Yellowstone and Grand Teton
- Helpful background on the indigenous culture, landscape, plants and animals, and history of the region
Visiting more of North America's national parks? Try Moon Glacier National Park or Moon USA National Parks.
About Moon Travel Guides: Moon was founded in 1973 to empower independent, active, and conscious travel. We prioritize local businesses, outdoor recreation, and traveling strategically and sustainably. Moon Travel Guides are written by local, expert authors with great stories to tell—and they can't wait to share their favorite places with you.
For more inspiration, follow @moonguides on social media.
About the Author
Becky Lomax grew up hiking, camping, and skiing in Olympic National Park, North Cascades National Park, and Mt. Rainier National Park (where her dad used to serve as a ranger).
During college, she worked summers in Glacier National Park. After teaching high school English for many years outside Seattle, she and her husband moved to Montana, where she served as a hiking and backpacking guide in Glacier, worked at a ski resort, and began to write about the outdoors. She relishes visiting national parks to hike, bike, backpack, kayak, and raft.
Through her writing, she advocates for conserving wild places for their unique attributes and the renewal they bring to humans. She has written about hiking trails, historic lodges and roads, camping, paddling, skiing, bicycling, wildlife, wildflowers, birds, and climate change. For magazine stories, she has tagged along with biologists into the field to radio collar bighorn sheep and grizzly bears, even touching the bear's claws and smelling its fur to discover its earthy scent.
She has published stories in several national travel magazines including Smithsonian and Backpacker. She has also authored Moon USA National Parks, Moon Glacier National Park, and Moon U.S. & Canadian Rockies Road Trip.
"Moon handbooks are always a pleasure to read. The writing is crisp, the research impressive, and the recommendations practical and down to earth."—Chicago Tribune
“The books are more easily readable than other guides. The main attractions are also marked with a special icon and sidebars and boxes highlight special information, making the Moon handbooks one of the most user-friendly guides in terms of visual appeal and organization…the quality is uniformly excellent."—Transitions Abroad
"Far from narrow minded, each Moon travel guide gives itinerary options for a variety of travelers’ budgets—from frugal to lavish. They make books catering to those who love the outdoors, those who have limited time, those staying exclusively in cities and those who’ve fully committed to living abroad. In all, they have hundreds of titles, ranging Bermuda to Budapest, that’ll teach you to embrace a new culture."—Gear Patrol, “The Best Travel Guidebooks for Every Journey”
"Moon handbooks have become known as well-written and exceptionally informative guides."—The New York Times
"Moon guides are perfect for the relaxed road tripper or outdoor explorer."—No Small Plan
"Moon handbooks are known for cannily combining logistical information with cultural background of a country or state."—Los Angeles Times